Harris Products Group
Lighting, adjusting and shutting down an oxygen-acetylene torch is easy – especially when following the proper procedures. In addition to these easy to follow instructions, you must always be sure to follow the torch manufacturer's operating procedures.
First - before you attempt to light the torch follow these checks:
· Make sure regulator pressure adjustment screws are backed out!
· Make sure torch valves are closed!
· Stand away from front of regulator
· Separately and slowly open the oxygen and acetylene cylinder valves
· Adjust regulator p/a screws to tip pressure settings
· Open/close torch valves separately and fine tune pressure settings on regulators
· Depress cutting lever and adjust pressure if necessary
Lighting and adjusting the torch (with a positive/equal pressure mixer):
· Separately purge both oxygen and fuel gas lines
· Open fuel gas valve 1/2 turn
· Ignite flame with striker
· Increase fuel gas flow until flame leaves end of tip and no smoke is present
· Decrease until flame goes back to tip
· Open oxygen valve and adjust to neutral flame
· Depress oxygen lever and make necessary adjustments
Shutting down the torch (with a positive/equal pressure mixer):
· Close oxygen torch valve
· Close fuel gas torch valve
If the torch/regulators and gases are done being used for a while, follow these procedures:
· Close oxygen and fuel gas cylinder valves
· Separately purge oxygen and fuel gas lines
· Make sure all regulator gauges read 0
· Back out regulator pressure adjustment screws!
· If you are using in a commercial environment, report any damage, etc. to your supervisor
Remember to always follow basic safety rules when working with oxy-fuel equipment.